Credit Report Errors and How to Dispute Them

Credit Report Errors and How to Dispute Them

If any of the information on your credit report is inaccurate, follow these three steps to effectively dispute credit report errors:

1. Write a letter to the credit reporting company, explaining which information is wrong.

2. Along with the letter, send a copy of your credit report with the inaccurate information circled.

3. Send the letter Certified Mail and ask the post office for a return receipt as proof that the credit reporting company received the letter.

The credit reporting company must look into your complaint and answer you in writing within 30 days.

Find out more at:

To contact a financial counselor at the CCCS to assist you in disputing credit report errors, click here.